Sunday, November 16, 2014

Part 1 of 'A Whole New World' or, As Aladdin Says

Places Just Outside of Quito

 

So as we continued to venture around we found there are some very impressive sights to see. On Saturday 11/15/14 we took a taxi and two buses to go to a place called Mitad Del Mundo. Which translates to "half of the world". This place is known for having the line of the equator and some fun experiments to try while there. So now I can say I have stood in both the northern and southern hemispheres at the same time. There is a really big monument that sits right on the line and you can take an elevator up to the top if you want. Some of the experiments were neat, like this little podium that has a egg in the center. "Supposedly" you can stand the egg straight upright on the equator line because gravity to either side is equal. Watching people try to do it was enjoyment enough. Two people successfully did it and oh how momentous an occasion for us and the egg.
While there, we saw a tour to go up to a volcano that at the bottom was a massive 4km long crater. In this crater was a rich and fertile land that 100 families lived in and worked. If you live in the crater, the only way in or out is a nine-mile trek by foot or caballo (horse). Clouds roll over the mountain tops and down into this crater providing humidity and condensation for crops and livestock. They have extremely pure water and the area around the crater is lush with green trees and grass. It was very windy and cold at the top of the crater. The clouds move so fast there that in a span of 15 minutes it went from perfectly clear where you could see everything to just whiteness all around. It was totally covered to the point that you couldn't see the trail that was 400 meters ahead. We took the van back down to Mitad del Mundo where we started our journey back to Quito. Here are some pictures we took of both places:










The fourth picture from the bottom is the little podium with the egg. It's the simple things I find most enjoyable. If you look at the bottom 3 pictures I posted them in order. You can tell the clouds are coming down on the left side. They rolled in like a stampede.

We have had the opportunity to do some cool stuff but not all of it is fun and trips. The language barrier is huge for me. I thought I knew enough Spanish to get by, but I was way wrong. The accent is thick here and I can't catch but like every 50th word. Vic can translate about 60% of what people are saying which has been essential to our getting around, eating, finances, etc. I am picking it up little by little but being fluent is a far cry away. One thing that has been on my heart and mind is bettering myself in public speaking so that I can be a better servant to the Lord. Identifying with people and listening so that I can interject truth at the needed time and in the right way so as not to be beating someone over the head with the "Hammer of God." I trust in scripture and I am trying not to be anxious because God will give me the words needed at the right time. My frustration is that I can't speak the language so how can I share the truth. The Lord did reveal that its not ALL about words and that my actions and outlook on our situation are crucial as well. Someone might not know that I am a Christian but my actions show something very different from the normal. It's my actions that I have put priority on until my lingo picks up enough to share with others the good news.

Today is Sunday and we weren't able to find a church to worship in. We found some churches, but being in a Roman Catholic Cathedral is REALLY distracting for me. On that note, I really miss my church family, so if you're reading this, we love you and miss you and look forward to having the opportunity to worship with you again soon.

Intermission....

And now a word from my favorite wife.... (and only wife) :)






2 comments:

  1. It's COLD at the equator??? Who knew! Also, those volcanic crater people...if the volcano were to erupt, they'd be toast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, yes. They'd be toast. BUT it's been continuously active for so long that they've apparently got all the precautions down pat.

    Also, yes. It can get pretty chilly here. But overall, it's just plain old pleasant.

    ReplyDelete