Monday, November 24, 2014

First Day in Cuenca

The Third Place On Our Trek

After our great time in Ambato for close to a whole week, we hopped on a bus for Cuenca which was 7 horas (hours) away. That was a LONG bus ride but the scenery was spectacular. We traveled up, down, and through mountains. Many farmers live in secluded areas where they work the land literally on the side of massive hills. Many own lots of animals and looking at the hill from afar you see different shades of green and yellow squares where they plant different types of crops. Here are a couple of pictures:



You can see the hills in the background have what looks like sections. Those are the spots I am talking about.
I took the window seat of the bus which was good for watching but bad for sun coming in. I am pretty sure I have a tan on the right side of my body from that ride. The buses for longer distances are actually really nice and comfortable. The seats recline and have plenty of foot room. I had plenty of time so I was able to get in a good game of chess on my computer. I am horrible at chess but I was able to end the game in a draw against the computer. One of the great things about bus rides is that when they pull over to pick up more people, some of the locals hop quickly on the bus to sell snacks and refreshments. The people are super friendly and the price of bread, water, popcorn, fresh fruit, and other things are really cheap! Like a 25-50 cents cheap. It helps keep your hunger down when your missing breakfast and lunch. 

We arrived at the Cuenca Terminal around 4:45. We walked outside, hailed a taxi, and "I" (which was a win for me) told him the intersection we were trying to get to. We use AirBnB to book our places to stay, which has worked out great. But this time we hadn't heard back from the guy whose house were supposed to be staying at, so we chose a hosteria to try and book at least a night in. After getting to the intersection where the place was at, we knocked on the door and spoke to the owner but they were completely booked. She pointed us literally right across the street and right as we walked up to the door the guy that owns this one was walking up too. His family owns a really nice building with many rooms and much to our surprise he spoke pretty good English also. We found out he is a lawyer (although he looks like he is my age), and he was super cool. He showed us around and took us to a room that he had to know I would go for. King size bed, big bathroom with steaming hot water, great wi-fi connection, and did I mention a king size bed? He didn't even have to say a word. You know how you can pray about ridiculous things, like wanting a hot tub or a donut with coffee? I think God gave me a king size bed and hot water just to see the look on my face. It was a tremendous blessing, and believe me, I recognized it. Thank you Father! 

Oh, and I forgot to tell you they serve a full breakfast with eggs, fruit, toast, coffee, and juice at 8:30am. I woke up this morning at about 8:20. Quickly put on clothes even though I was nowhere near awake and was pressuring Vic to hurry up because I was NOT going to miss out on my breakfast that I had slept SO long to get to. She said I was being a grouch but I like to call it the effective use of time management. Much to my dismay she took a picture of me sitting at my breakfast seat with eyes half open and no thought but food passing through my brain, and then POSTED IT TO FACEBOOK! Why on earth people need to see a starving zombie, I do not know. But if you want to see a starving zombie white man in a foreign country you now know where to go.

It's about 4 o clock on Monday the 24th and we have already been out in the town, but I'm going to let Vic tell all about that. I miss my family and friends and we are looking forward to coming back. May God bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment